Flemo Farm was launched in 2021.
Community Engagement takes place through:
- Events, tours, and workshops
- Opportunities to volunteer on a weekly basis
- A weekly on-site farm market from July through to mid-October
Through an application process, five community members and one Indigenous grower have been invited to be Community Farmers.
- They are given access to approximately 2,400 sq ft of prepared garden space
- Have access to all infrastructure and equipment necessary to manage their plot
- Participate in the workshops and trainings
- Keep any money they make from what they grow in their own garden plot
Farm Staff coordinate the Communal Garden Plot, growing on approximately half the site with volunteers. Harvests are donated through various emergency food networks in Flemingdon Park.
The Farm is the result of a collaboration between the Flemingdon Health Centre and FoodShare Toronto, with support from the City of Toronto, Weston Family Foundation, Park People, Live Green, and the Sheinburg Foundation. The Ontario Trillium Foundation funded the initial community-directed planning