In 2021, the project will include three components: Community Engagement, Community Farmers, and a Farm Coordinator.
Community Engagement will take place through:
- Events, tours, and workshops
- Opportunities to volunteer on a weekly basis
- A weekly on-site farm market from July through to mid-October
Through an application process, five community members will be invited to be Community Farmers in 2021. They will:
- Be given access to approximately 2,400 sq ft of prepared garden space
- Have access to all infrastructure and equipment necessary to manage their plot
- Participate in the workshops and trainings
- Keep any money they make from what they grow in their own garden plot
The Farm Coordinator will manage the farm and programs:
- Develop farm infrastructure and equipment
- Ensure farm production and sustainability
- Coordinate the Community Farmer program and provide workshops and trainings
- Coordinate the Communal Garden Plot, growing on approximately half the site with volunteers, and sell the harvest through a weekly on-site farm market
- Coordinate a weekly Farmer Market
These are the plans for 2021.
There is much to be done before we can begin growing.
- The land must be prepared. The existing grass must be killed off, and compost and other organic amendments must be applied.
- Infrastructure must be installed, including water for irrigation, storage for supplies, a perimeter fence, hydrocooling stations to immediately cool and hydrate the freshly harvested vegetables, and a cooler to preserve the harvests before distribution.